Welcome to Understanding the GA-600 Fire Resistance Design Manual!
- AIA Course Number FRDM06. ICC Course Number 8599.
- An AIA Continuing Education Program provided by the Gypsum Association (Registered G261)
- An ICC Continuing Education Program provided by the Gypsum Association (Provider number 1338)
AIA credit for this course is 2 CES Learning Units. This course qualifies for HSW credit.
ICC credit for this course is .20 CEUs in the specialty “Fire.”
You will find it helpful to have a copy of the current (21st) edition of the Gypsum Association’s Fire Resistance Design Manual (GA-600-2015) available as a reference as you complete the course. Although an earlier edition will work, the slides are keyed to page numbers in the 21st edition. If you do not have a current edition, you can purchase it through the Gypsum Association Bookstore.
The Gypsum Association is registered as an Approved Provider with the American Institute of Architects Continuing Education System (AIA CES) and a Preferred Provider of within the International Code Council (ICC) Preferred Provider Program (PPP). This course has been approved by AIA CES for continuing professional education. AIA members who successfully complete this course will earn AIA Continuing Education Credits, which will be reported to AIA CES by the Gypsum Association. This course has been approved by ICC PPP for .20 CEUs in the specialty “Fire.”
Upon request, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to anyone completing the course.
This course is not intended to promote or sell any specific product and it should not be construed or interpreted to be an approval or endorsement by AIA of any construction material or any method or manner of handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or project.
Upon completion of this course you will have a better understanding of:
- Terms used in GA-600 and how they are applied,
- How a fire test is performed,
- Basic conditions of sound control,
- Information in GA-600 system descriptions,
- How the General Explanatory Notes relate to system descriptions, and
- Different types of systems in GA-600.
Review questions are interspersed throughout the course to aid in self-evaluation of your progress. These questions are not graded.
The course ends with a short quiz upon which you will be graded. A grade of 80% or better is required for credit or a Certificate of Completion.
The material is divided into learning modules. Each module covers a specific section of GA-600 and features one or more review questions. The individual modules are presented in the same order as the Table of Contents on pages 3 and 4 of GA-600-2015.
To gain a more thorough understanding of the material in each module, review the appropriate pages in GA-600 as you work your way through the course.
As you move through the course you will see that all of the listed systems are presented in a common format. Each listing contains the following components:
- The GA (Gypsum Association) File Number,
- A designation as either proprietary or generic,
- The fire resistance rating in hours,
- The STC or FSTC if appropriate (not all systems have been sound tested),
- A short summary of its key components,
- A detailed description of how the components are assembled,
- One or more cross section details,
- A list of selected properties (weight, thickness, etc.), and
- Citations to the test or evaluation reports upon which the system is based.
To begin a course please log in or create a Gypsum Account. Once logged in, select the “Start taking this Course” button from the top left of this page. Then navigate to the Modules section on this page to begin the lessons within each Section.